Fintech Philippines Association (FPh) announced yesterday that Angkas will take seat as member of the organization’s advisory board.
The announcement was made last night during the April edition of FPh’s monthly forum held at Unionbank’s The Ark in Ayala attended by some of the major players in financial technology (FinTech) and other related agencies.
Dubbed as FinTech April Mixer, this month’s forum was centered on the role of transport and logistics in the still rising e-commerce industry as well as issues related to water technology and social enterprises.
FPh Executive Director and Trustee Amor Maclang of GeiserMaclang Marketing Communications Inc. introduced the group’s newly appointed Chairman Dr. Justo Ortiz of Unionbank who then shared about FPh’s vision and mission which is centered on pushing for the “democratization of technologies” and to lead the FinTech revolution in the Philippines.
What are the primary goals of FPh?
- Attract investments and partnerships
- Advocate future-focused regulations
- Cultivate technical skills
- Promote PH as FinTech center
- Gateway to global FinTech associations
- Connection to the FinTech PH ecosystem
Also part of the FPh board are Mark Vernon of TagCash as Vice Chairman and Treasurer and Mark Gorriceta of Gorrecita Africa Cauton & Saavedra as Corporate Secretary.
Last night’s forum featured 5 leaders in the e-commerce industry who each shared expertise and unique vision for the future of doing business here in the Philippines:
- Au Soriano, Founder and CEO of PinoyTravel
- Archit Anand, Founder of Omnirio
- Ronald Rodriguez, Founder and CEO of eebeelee
- Steve Sy, Founder and CEO of Great Deals eCommerce Corp
- George Royeca, Head of Regulatory & Public Affairs of Angkas
“FinTech and e-commerce are largely interdependent because FinTech provides online payment platforms that allow e-commerce to thrive,” Royeca said. “Without FinTech and payment innovations, global e-commerce will not grow as much as it did in recent years,” he adds.
Angkas is the first (and only) app-based motorcycle ride-hailing service in the Philippines.
“The teching up of small e-commerce players in the country is something that we in Angkas, in our capacity as advisor to FPh, will recommend as a priority undertaking for the near future,” Royeca reveals. “Right now I believe that we’re benefiting more with our involvement in FPh but we have a lot to contribute as well.”
According to Royeca, the e-commerce as a whole and as well as other traditional businesses here in the Philippines depends a lot on motorcycles riders for basically all kinds of logistical needs. Angkas is now at the forefront of all this and are also looking at expanding its services and offering their expertise (and technology) to augment current processes like in Fast Food deliveries and many others.
We also heard from NXTLVL Water during the forum, who presented figures to the impending water crisis in the Philippines and some 21st century water solutions that are viable and economical.
The forum was moderated by MJ Panganiban from DragonPay.
According to FPh Trustee and head of membership Edison Tsai of Seedin Technologies, the group’s membership grow to 57% this month and in the span of only 2 months, welcoming 11 new corporate members and 1 individual member:
- Zuellig Pharma
- BCB Chain
- Netpoleon Solutions PH
- Nomura Research Institute
- Capman Consulting
- OKCoin Philippines
- Edgar Morfe of CashX
Aside from George Royeca of Angkas, Manulife’s Katherine Wong, VP & Head of Branding, Digital & Innovation will also be part of the group’s advisory board.
The trustees also includes Arvie De Vera of Unionbank, Ida Tiongson of Opal Portfolio Investments and Gerry Cruz.
Fintech Philippines Association (FPA) also announced its other upcoming initiatives such as:
- The First Real Estate Industry Hackathon on July 27 and 28
- DLD Tel Aviv Innovation Festival on September 16 to 19
- Singapore Fintech Festival on November 11 to 15
- Crocs Invade Elyu Beaches on Labor Day Weekend - May 17, 2022
- Puregold to Hold Negosyo Convention 2022 at WTC - May 17, 2022
- Alaska Milk Commits Zero Plastic Waste by End of 2022 - May 17, 2022