FIGARO DBP branch in Makati once again hosted the 2nd Barista Cup of Figaro Coffee Company last Saturday!
As one of the country’s leading coffee franchise, Figaro is known for its Latte Art Competitions held annually and participated by latte experts from the different Figaro branches here in the Philippines.
The Figaro Barista Cup 2016 on the other hand, will probably be held once every three years. The first one was held in the same venue last 2013.
There were 9 competitors this year and they are:
- Roy Chavez (Shangri-La Mall) – Orange Mocha
- Joharie Sarip (Dasmarinas, Cavite) – Milky Espresso Creme Brulee
- Kurt Kevin Hispano (Liberty Center, Makati) – Coco Jam Cappuccino
- Mario Juntila (High Street, BGC) – Hawaiian Iced Latte
- Mhat Vincent Mariano (Tomas Morato) – Blueberry Vanilla Espresso
- Sherin Malayao (Theater Zone, Sta. Lucia) – Hot & Cold Orange Mocha
- Ian Lester Matela (DBP, Makati) – Honey Tonic Espresso
- John Mark Trapani (Sct Magbanua) – Savory Chocolate Latte
- Angel Santos (Brickroad, Sta. Lucia) – Honey Espresso
Here are some of the baristas in action:
There were two sets of judges during the competition – one checks out the execution or technical process, while the other set judges the taste and presentation. The judging team was headed by FCSI Executive Director Mr. Justin T. Liu.
Here is Justin Liu judging the drinks:
The taste team includes Mr. Urbano Razon Jr., Ms. Clarissa Malabanan, Mr. Alejandro Taag, Mr. Marlon Aldenese, Mr. Christopher Balonan, and Mr. Joseph Malinis.
I was only able to taste some of the wonderful creations, so I wouldn’t be able to make an accurate assessment on who’s drink is the best.
The winners for the Figaro Barista Cup 2016 are as follows:
Barista Sherin Malayao – 5th Place
Barista Ian Lester Matela – 4th Place
Barista Johari Sarip – 3rd Place
Barista Mario Juntila – 2nd Place
Barista John Mark Trapani – Grand Winner
The grand winner received 10,000 Pesos and a trophy plus a chance to represent Figaro in various local and international Barista competitions.
Through these competitions, Figaro aims to bring out the best in their Barista teams. Rewarding excellence and to provide a venue for continuous learning and growth plus an opportunity for each of them to be known for their passion as a coffee maker.
Congratulations to all the winners!