Taiwan, with its wide array of shopping malls and night markets, has easily became one of the hottest shopping district in East Asia.
Trawl the malls for clothes, fashion accessories, gadgets or anything and everything under the sun. Be an expert bargain hunter and scour the famous Taiwan night markets for hard-to-find trinkets and souvenirs at rock bottom prices or at least something commensurate to your shopping skills.
To get you started, remember that the official currency of Taiwan is New Taiwan Dollar or NT$ – and as of January 2, 2019, the current exchange rate of 1 NT$ to Philippine Peso is 1.71 (PHP).
Majority of the shops accepts VISA, Mastercard, American Express, JCB, UnionPay and Diner’s Club – so no problem.
So to all you shopaholics, here are some of the coolest places to shop when in Taiwan.
The East District Shopping Area
Located in North Taiwan, Sec. 4 Zhogxiao E. Rd., the East District is one of the most popular business area in the country. Department stores and other shops sits on all sides and even underground which ran from MRT Zhongxiao Fuxing to MRT Zhongxiao Dunhua – about 725 meters long. There are 17 exits which lets you shop from either on the ground or under.
- SOGO Taipei Zhongxiao Store (45 Sec. 4, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Daan Dist., Taipei)
- SOGO Taipei Fuxing Store (300 Sec. 3, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Daan Dist., Taipei)
- Eslite Bookstore Dunnan Store (245 Sec. 1, Dunhua S. Road, Taipei)
The Xinyi Shopping Area
Xinyi Special District, the emerging business district, is now the most iconic fashion center in Taipei. What’s so special about it, is the low density, low volume land development for urban residents’ leisure and shopping style. The stress-free shopping experience is enhanced with weather-proof sky walks between buildings and weekend street performances in public spaces. It is accessible via the MRT Taipei City Hall and MRT Taipei 101.
- Breeze Center Songgao Store (16 Songgao Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Breeze Center Xinyi Store (68 Sec. 5, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Uni-President Taipei (8 Sec. 5, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Eslite Bookstore Xinyi Store (11 Songgao Road, Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Shinkong Mitsukoshi Xinyi Place (11 Songshou Rr., Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Taipei 101 (7 Sec. 5, Xinyi Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Bellavita (28 Songren Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei)
The Taipei Main Station
Taipei Main Station serves as the largest transportation hub in Taipei. THSR, TRA, Taipei MRT, and the Taoyuan Airport MRT connects here. The first and 2nd floor of Taipei Main Station you can find a variety of gift shops and restaurants. Snap a quick bite or last minute local specialty before your trip. Around the main station there are two department stores. Underground there are Taipei MRT’s Taipei City Mall & Station Front Metro Mall. From here, you can explore all the way up to Zhongshan Metro Mall at north, where it connects Nanjing W. Rd. shopping area and MRT Shunglian Station. An endless shopping adventure.
- Shinkong Mitsukoshi Taipei Station (66 Zhongxiao W. Rd., Zhongzheng District, Taipei)
- Q Square (1 Sec. 1, Chengde Rd., Datong District, Taipei)
The Songshan Shopping Area
This shopping area became popular when the MRT Songshan Station opened. Wufenpu is the most iconic shopping zone for RTWs. Here are hundreds of stores that sells clothes, bags and accessories at bargain prices. The Raohe Night Market is one of the top night markets in Taiwan where local snacks and famous treats are ready to be experienced. You can also access this via the Songshan Railway Station.
- Citylink Songshan (11 Songshan Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei)
The Ximending Shopping Area
Ximending was once the top entertainment spot in Taiwan. It is now a favorite spot for foreign backpackers due to its close proximity to the Taipei Main Station and budget places. It is accessible via the MRT Ximen Station.
- Eslite Bookstore Wuchang Store (77 Sec. 2, Wuchang St., Wanhua District, Taipei)
- Eslite Bookstore Ximen Store (52 Ermei St., Taipei)
The Taichung Fengjia Shopping Area
Shopping starts at the Fengjia Night Market and expands outwards. Consumers are mostly college students because of the Fengjia University in the area but over the years it became the most favored Night Market in Taichung among tourists.
The Taichung Qinmei Eslite Shopping Area
The Park Lane in Qinmei Eslite is a hot spot among local hipsters. On weekend and holidays, stalls of handmade goods, street performers attracts tourists on Green Park Lane. The nearby Gongyi Road houses all types of restaurants.
The Tainan Confucius Temple (Fuzhong) Shopping Area
An old-styled Pan Gong Stone is the entrance to a world of creativity. For foreigners, other than creative fun gifts, Taiwanese fried instant noodles, oden, almond tea are the local food worth tasting. This place is located along Fuzhong St., Zhongxi District in Tainan.
The Tainan Anping Old Street Shopping Area
This is the first street built by the Netherlanders back in the 17th century. Also called as the Taiwan First Street people come here for a heritage tour at Jianshi and the other old streets lined now with shops and famous eateries that serves seafood delicacies. Shops are located at Yanping St., Anping District, Tainan.
The Kaohsiung Shinkuchan Commercial District
Shinkuchan is the largest gathering of dealers of imported fashion goods – from Paris, Milan, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea. This area is accessible via the Kaohsiung MRT R9 Zhongyang Park Station.
The Luodong Tourist Night Market in Yilan
Tourist considers Luodong as the most famous spot in Yilan. The market runs all year round and is famous for local specialties. It is located at the intersection of Xingdong Rd. and Minquan Rd., in Luodong.
The Dongdamen Night Market in Hualian
Dongdamen is located at the same spot of the Nanbing Night Market that stopped operation in 2015. It is divided into different zones – Futing Night Market, Aboriginal Street, China Street and Huilan’s Heart (Sunshine Electricity City). Dongdamen is at 50 Zhongshan Rd., Hualian.
The Tiehua Village in Taitung
Taitung is the most laid-back city in Taiwan and the s hopping area here has its own specialty. In Tiehua, the Tiehua Good Shops gathers creators to display their items on weekdays, while on weekends, there is Slow Market, which only sells genuine handmade cultural products. Find it at No. 26 Lane 135, Xinsheng Rd., Taitung.
But wait, there’s more… MORE SHOPPING PLACES in Taiwan. Get a load of this list:
- LEECO Outlet Neihu Store (Neihu District, Taipei)
- Eslite Songyan Store (Xinyi District, Taipei)
- Mitsui Outlet park Linkou (Linkou District, New Taipei)
- Gloria Outlet (Zhongli District, Taoyuan)
- Top City Taichung (Xitun District, Taichung)
- Shinkong Mitsukoshi Taichung Zhonggang (Xitun District, Taichung)
- Shiny Sun Outlet (Central District, Taichung)
- Lihpao Outlet Mall (Houli District, Taichung)
- Shinkong Mitsukoshi Tainan Place (Zhongxi District, Tainan)
- Eslite T.S. Mall Store (Zhonghua E. Road, Tainan)
- E-DA Outlet Mall (Dashu District, Kaohsiung)
- Dream Mall (Qianzhen District, Kaohsiung)
- Taroko Park (Qianzhen District, Kaohsiung)
24 Hours Hypermarket
- Carrefour Kwei-Lin Store (Wanhua District, Taipei)
- Carrefour De-An Store (East District, Taichung)
- Carrefour Qing-Hai Store (Xitun District, Taichung)
- Carrefour An-Ping Store (West Central District, Tainan)
- Carrefour An-Ping Store (Sanmin District, Kaohsiung)
Duty Free Shops
- Ever Rich – Taipei Downtown Store Neihu
- Ever Rich – Taipei Downtown Store Minquan
- Ever Rich Taoyuan International Airport
- Tasa Meng Duty Free Taoyuan Airport
The Taiwan Tourism Information Center Manila office is open Mondays to Fridays from 9:30am to 6:00pm. Here is the address:
Tower 1, 8th Floor, Highstreet South Corporate Plaza, 9th Avenue, corner 26th St, BGC, Taguig, Philppines.
(063) 925 788 7039
Latest posts by raindeocampo (see all)
- 4 Ways to Achieve Lighter Skin in 2020 - February 21, 2020
- BTS Debuts the New Album Title Track “ON” Exclusively on TikTok - February 21, 2020
- Meralco Power Rates Further Drops in February 2020 - February 21, 2020