I never liked watching DRAMA! I try to stay away from watching excessively sentimental soaps and movies because I personally find it emotionally draining.
Yes I don’t like watching these shows but not because I hate it but because I am always unprepared for stories or dialogues that are emotionally charged – deeply obliterating all my sense of control that often leads to involuntary lacrimal dysfunction. In other words, I CRY easily.
And that’s what I don’t like about it.
But don’t get me wrong, a lot of my favorite movies, TV shows, books, plays and music has DRAMA written all over it! But as much as I can help it, I don’t let other people know that I do – but now you know.
Last week I was invited to a special screening of GMA Network’s new afternoon drama called “The Stepdaughters“. It stars Megan Young, Katrina Halili, Mikael Daez and Sef Cadayona. All four Kapuso stars were also present during the exclusive screening held at The Lounge in Tomas Morato, Quezon City.
The Stepdaughters is the third offering of the Kapuso network for the year 2018, and so far, this is the best I’ve seen from them. And I don’t mean that so lightly – the two-part pilot episode is so good that it will bring viewers all sorts of emotions and leave you numbed all over after. It’s that well-written!
Props to director Paul Sta. Ana and his creative team for bringing this story to life. I am already sure that this will be an instant hit to all afternoon soap fans, enough to even rival the popularity of “Ika-6 Na Utos”.
Here are several reasons WHY you’ll love the pilot!
- You will ultimately HATE Angelu De Leon! Angelu will play the role of Brenda Salvador, the ambitious wife of Hernan (Gary Estrada) and the mother of Isabelle or Belai (Katrina Halili). Brenda is definitely going to give me nightmares.
- You immediately look for a husband who’s character is the same as Mario Dela Rosa (Allan Paule). A loving father to Mayumi (Megan Young) and a dedicated life partner to Luisa (Glydel Mercado). From start to FINISH (and you’ll know what I mean by that), Mario is portrayed as a true Hero.
- The incorporation of the fable of “The Hare and The Turtle” in the story to subliminally provide the central theme of the whole show is very ingenious. The person who thought about this has my admiration.
- Aside from bringing you to tears, the show will mirror the daily realities faced by people who are at the bottom of society. The challenges faced by the marginalized, their dreams, aspirations and way of life.
- And finally, It will make you want to try your luck (again) in lottery. 🙂
While the story is familiar, I must admit that the attack is very different and straightforward. Almost like a dagger straight through the viewer’s heart. Also, the issue here between Belai and Mayumi is deeply rooted and complicated, it’ll be interesting to see how the elements unfold.
Apparently, it wasn’t only me who got affected by the pilot. Here are the reactions of the lead stars of The Stepdaughters after watching it for the first time:
By now a lot has already seen the first episode when it aired earlier this afternoon right after “Ika-6 Na Utos” and I can confidently predict that all of those who watched it are in anticipation for what will happen in the next episodes. But some who are like myself, will try to hide that. But it’s going to be hard I tell you – just like me trying to keep my tears from falling during the special pilot screening – thank goodness that the lights were super dimmed at The Lounge.
Aside from the artists that i mentioned already, also in the series are Samantha Lopez and Dion Ignacio.
Overall, this series shows great promise of becoming an instant classic. To GMA Drama, I saw what you did and I liked it very much! Congratulations! Hope to see more stuff like this in the future, I hope! 🙂