To celebrate Earth Day, and to underscore its ongoing commitment to sustainability, the adidas Group announced that plastic shopping bags will be removed from its own retail stores globally.
The switch to paper bags will be implemented immediately, with Russia and Kazakhstan following in June 2016.
Additionally, over the last year, the adidas Group has worked closely with its partners, resulting in the vast majority of its franchisees committing to paper bags by the end of June 2016.
This means every year the adidas Group will eliminate approximately 70 million plastic shopping bags across more than 14,000 retail stores globally. This translates to 3 million plastic shopping bags in the United States and more than 2 million plastic bags in Germany.
The plastic shopping bag phase-out initiative started one year ago, when the company announced its partnership with Parley for the Oceans. As a founding member, adidas supports Parley for the Oceans in its education and communication efforts, as well as its comprehensive Ocean Plastic Programme (A.I.R., Avoid, Intercept, and Redesign) that intends to end plastic pollution of the oceans.
On top of phasing out plastic bags, the adidas Group has taken concrete steps to reduce its use of virgin plastic such as:
- Ended the use of plastic microbeads across all body care products by December 31, 2015.
- Eliminating plastic bottles in meetings at its headquarters in Herzogenaurach, Germany as of Q3 2015.
Latest posts by raindeocampo (see all)
- CoViD19-Free Bills Payment Using The GCash App - March 31, 2020
- Fitness Videos To Watch To Get You Back Into Shape at Home - March 30, 2020
- How to Attract Talents with Home-Based Jobs - March 30, 2020