What’s Christmas without a Scrooge!
For the uninitiated, Scrooge or Ebenezer Scrooge is a character in Charle’s Dicken’s classic Christmas Fairy Tale called ‘ A Christmas Carol’ who made famous the expression “Bah Humbug!”
Last Friday (November 21), Repertory Philippines opened its version of renowned writer-composer-lyricist Leslie Bricusse’s delightful stage interpretation of this classic in Scrooge The Musical!
Based on the 1970 film musical of the same name, the original production of Scrooge The Musical opened in 1992 in Birmingham, United Kingdom. After a series of UK tours, the show opened at the London Palladium in 2005 where stage veteran Tommy Steele took on the leading role. The production continued on tour and was revived again for the 2012-2013 Christmas season at the London Palladium. The musical features all the songs from the film, including the Oscar nominated song ‘Thank You Very Much’, written by Leslie Bricusse.
Scrooge The Musical is set during Christmas in London, England and closely follows the classic story with the miserly Ebenezer undergoing a profound experience of redemption over the course of a Christmas Eve night, after being visited by the ghost of his former partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.
The musical features a sparkling, tuneful score with traditional Christmas melodies complete with live music, dazzling choreography, and new surprises that will lovingly melt even the hardest of hearts as the true meaning of Christmas is highlighted.
The Repertory Philippines’ production of Scrooge The Musical is directed by Ms. Baby Barredo, the company’s artistic director.
Here are the cast:
- Miguel Faustmann and Chinggoy Alonso will alternately play the role of Ebenezer Scrooge – a stingy, chilly, cowardly, grumpy and money-hungry businessman. While he is much more benevolent than before his “caroling” experience, he is still uncertain as to the reason behind generosity in general.
- Raul Montesa will play the role of Jacob Marley – the business partner of Scrooge who died seven years ago.
- Cara Barredo plays the role of Ghost of Christmas Past – the first of the spirits foretold by Marley who shows Scrooge his past Christmases.
- Oliver Usison plays the role of Ghost of Christmas Present – the second of the spirits foretold by Marley that shows Scrooge Christmas celebrations in the present time.
- Dwight Angelo Vito Cruz plays the role of Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come – the third spirit foretold by Marley that shows Scrooge Christmases in the Future.
- Chino Veguillas plays the role of Bob Cratchit – Scrooge’s clerk.
- Gabo Tiongson and Soleil Luna Bueno will alternately play the role of Tiny Tim – the crippled son of the Cratchits who is the beneficiary of physical therapy paid for by Scrooge.
The other cast members are Justine Peña as Ethel Cratchit, Ashlee Factor as Kathy, Arnel Carrion as Young Ebenezer, Christine Flores as Isabel, Noel Comia as Ebby (child Ebenezer), Steven Conde as Tom Jenkins, Alexander Cortez as Mr. Fezziwig and Sheila Francisco as Mrs. Fezziwig.
The ensemble is composed of Andee Achacoso, Khevin Almario, Rachel Coates, David Shawn Delgado, Daniel Drilon, Natalie Everett, Thea Gloria, Vien Alen King, Bianca Mauricio, Chill Ocampo, Jay Pangilinan, Joshua Ramirez, Albert Silos and Dwight Angelo Vito Cruz
The artistic team of Scrooge The Musical is composed of Baby Barredo (Director), Natalie Everett (Assistant Director), Onyl Torres (Musical Director), Jason Zamora (Choreographer), Miguel Faustmann (Set Designer), Valeen Vicente (Costume Designer), John Batalla (Lights Designer) and the Manila String Machine (Orchestra).
Scrooge The Musical runs until December 14, 2014 at OnStage, Greenbelt Theater with shows on Fridays and Saturdays at 8:00 p.m. and matinee shows on Saturdays and Sundays at 3:30 p.m.
For show details, contact 843-3570 and 451-1474 or visit www.repertoryphilippines.com. Tickets are available through Ticketworld at 891-9999 or via www.ticketworld.com.ph.
Latest posts by raindeocampo (see all)
- BRIA HOMES | Ang Pambansang Pabahay ng Pilipinas Announces Grand Open House Schedules - January 18, 2020
- ZEN Rooms Moves its Headquarters to the Philippines - January 18, 2020
- Shopee 2019 e-Commerce Milestones - January 18, 2020