The announcement was made during a press conference held at Cafe Ysabel in San Juan, Metro Manila by Director JUN PABLO, the Chairman and President of Bulwagang Gantimpala and its new artistic Director, multi-awarded film and TV director DIREK JOEL LAMANGAN. He will be replacing the late TONY ESPEJO, President and Founder of Bulwagang Gantimpala.
I am so happy that Philippine Theater is becoming more vibrant this past few months. Theater groups has never been so active and that’s a good sign. A clear indication that more people are getting back to appreciating the theater arts. It may also be a sign that the theater is attracting more young audiences as well. Who knows, if these changes pushes through to all the right direction, we may get to see a new and revitalized Metropolitan Theater or something to that effect to host a variety of theater groups with new and innovative presentations.
Gantimpala Theater is one of the leading dramatic arts companies in the country today, founded in 1977, it is also the country’s oldest and most established professional drama group.
For its 36th season, Gantimpala Theater presents the works of Directors Roeder Camanag, Jose Jeffrey Camanag, Roobak Valle and Gean Allain De Leon.
FLORANTE AT LAURA by Franciso Balagtas. This Philippine literary masterpiece, created into a play by Bonifacio Ilagan highlights the story of a quartet of lovers – Duke Florante and Prinsesa Laura of Albania, Prinsepe Aladin and Flerida of Persia, presented as a komedya, a Filipino theater form.
- August 2, (9am/12nn/3pm) – SM Southmall Cinema 3, Las Piñas City
- August 9 and 10 (10am/2pm) – Star Theater, Star City, Pasay City
- August 16 and 17 (10am/2pm) – AFP Theater, Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City
KANSER, the Jomar Fleras play based on Noli Me Tángere. This is the longest-running Filipino theater production. It has earned a nomination last year as Best Filipino Play (New/Revival) category on philippines.broadwayworld.com
- August 30, 31 and September 1, (9am/12nn/3pm) – AFP Theater, Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City
- September 6, 7 and 8, (9am/12nn/3pm) – Star Theater, Star City, Pasay City
- September 12 and 13, (11am/2pm) – SM Southmall Cinema 3, Las Piñas City
IBONG ADARNA, a korido about a magical bird with a very long fancy tail, that changes into seven colors – ruby red, sunset orange, peach yellow, emerald green, satin blue, velvet violet, and deep indigo – these songs serve as cure for all types of afflictions. Playwright Ed Maranan presents the three dons Pedro, Diego and Juan and the many adventures they encounter in capturing the one bird that lures them all.
- September 27, 28 and 29, (9am/12nn/3pm) – AFP Theater, Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City
- October 3 and 4, (11am/2pm) – SM Southmall Cinema 3, Las Piñas City
- October 11, 12, and 13, (9am/12nn/3pm) – Star Theater, Star City, Pasay City
EL FILIBUSTERISMO, the sequel to Noli Me Tangere, penned by Jomar Fleras centers on the enigmatic stranger Don Simoun, the affluent jeweler, moved by hatred and a fierce desire to avenge his sufferings, and to rescue Maria Clara from the nunnery where she has fled for sanctuary. He embarks on a crusade that aims to corrupt and weaken various institutions that eventually will lead to a bloody revolution.
- October 15, 16 and 17, (9am/12nn/3pm) – AFP Theater, Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City
- November 22, 23 and 24, (9am/12nn/3pm) – Star Theater, Star City, Pasay City
- November 28 and 29, (11am/2pm) – SM Southmall Cinema 3, Las Piñas City
For their Touring Musical, Gantimpala Thater presents an adaptation of Mark Twain’s The Prince and the Pauper simply titled as ANG PRINSEPE AT ANG PULUBI. This new Filipino musical tells the tale of two young men – male heir to the throne of England, Edward Tudor, son of Henry VIII and the other, Tom Canty, the unloved son of a beggar and thief. Born on the same day, the duo trade clothing one afternoon and, as a result, they trade lives as well. After many adventures, matters are set right – with one of them resuming his rightful, royal position and the other accepting a position that recognizes his innate intelligence and good-heartedness.
- August 8,9 & 10 – Angeles University Foundation, Angeles City, Pampanga
- August 14, 15 & 16 – Bren Guiao Cultural Center, San Fernando, Pampanga
- August 23 – Laguna
- August 28 & 29 – Olongapo Convention Center, Olongapo City, Zambales
- September 14 & 15 – Ortega Gymnasium, San Fernando, La Union
- January 17 and 18, 2014, (9am/12nn/3pm) – Star Theater, Star City, Pasay City
- January 23 and 24, (11am/2pm) – SM Southmall Cinema 3, Las Piñas City
Direk Joel Lamangan and Direk Jun Pablo teams up for this season’s KATIPUNAN: MGA ANAK NG BAYAN – the very first Bulwagang Gantimpala production written by multi-awarded playwright Bonifacio Ilagan with musical numbers created by award-winning musical composer Maestro Jesse Lucas. It presents the short life and turbulent times of the working class revolutionary Andres Bonifacio and his wife, Gregoria “Oryang” de Jesus, illustrating the evolution of the mass-based revolutionary organization, the role of women in the struggle, the internal conflicts that weakened it and the lessons that we realize and bring to heart.
Direk Joel and Direk Jun also announced that they will launch next year Bulwagang Gantimpala’s playwriting competition and rename it in honor of the Theater group’s founder TONY ESPEJO.
Also present during the press conference are some of the Bulwagang Gantimpala stage actors, Jay Gonzaga (Kanser), Rafa Esplana (Florante at Laura), Ellrica Laguardia (Florante at Laura), RJ Jimenez (Katipunan), Paul Jake Paule (Florante at Laura), Julian Roxas and Martin Buen (Ang Prinsepe at ang Pulubi).
For tickets and bookings, call 9985622 or 8720261. Like them also on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/gantimpala.
Bulwagang Gantimpala also partners this season with the National Parks Development Committee, Ever Bilena, Skin Sanctuary and Aces and Pros.