Earth day started in March 21, 1970, the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere. The concept of Earth Day was pioneered by John McConnell in 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco.
In 1990, the celebration became global. More than 100 countries participated. Countries were free to pursue whatever priority environmental issue they wanted to focus on and how they would celebrate April 22 as Earth Day.
In the Philippines, with the issuance of Proclamation No. 1481 in, Earth Day on April 22 is now a permanent environmental celebration. Hundreds of activities are undertaken by national government but also by local government units, NGOs, people’s organizations and businesses. Likewise thousands of activities take place worldwide. More than a billion people celebrate Earth Day each year.
Here are the different scheduled activities for today, EARTH DAY April 22, 2012:
- Luntiang Lungsod-Luntiang Sining at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (6am -5pm)
- Smart Communications Booth Exhibit in participation to Earth Day Celebration at the Ayala Triangle Garden in Makati City (8am – 5pm)
- Wanlu or Juan Lunaria also mounts an Earth Day show dubbed as Wanlu, Wan Earth, Wan Life at the Tanghalang Huseng Batute of the CCP today April 22, at 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. and at the QC Memorial Circle on April 22, 3:30 p.m.
Other major activities are the EARTH DAY JAM a street party music tribute to mother earth featuring the top musicians in the country. Happening on April 28 (Saturday) at 9th Ave., Bonifacio High Street, BGC Taguig. Admission is FREE.
In support of the worldwide celebration, mall giant SM launched their EARTH DAY Celebration campaign last April 20 (Friday) with different activities.
SM City Cebu, fashion design students from the University of San Carlos held an “E-Couture” exhibit featuring fashion dresses made of recycled materials from the Mandaue Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The exhibit is up until April 27.
SM’s corporate social responsibility projects such as the Trash to Cash was also launched at the North Covered Parking. This project promotes the disposal of unused materials/waste in an environment-friendly way. Paglaum Basureros will also sell crafts, house accessories and fashion accessories made of recyclable materials from until April 27 at the lower ground floor fronting Mang Inasal.
The nearest SM Mall in our place was SM City Manila and SM City Sta. Mesa. Last Friday, together with my family, we checked out the EARTH DAY program at the SM City Sta. Mesa where aside from their TRASH TO CASH and Recycling Awareness activities, they also placed a one day mini petting zoo at the 4th floor near the cinemas. Mall shoppers specially the kids were allowed to go and see the different animals inside and have their pictures taken with them. Through this activity SM City Sta. Mesa hopes to educate and create awareness among people specially the kids that animals are friends and that they need care and protection.
Here are some of the photos I’ve taken from the SM City Sta. Mesa Mini Petting Zoo:
Latest posts by raindeocampo (see all)
- 1CISP Says PH Coop Earns More Than Corporate, Offers Better Compensation Packages - March 22, 2019
- BRIA Homes is the Fastest-Growing Mass Housing Developer in the Philippines - March 22, 2019
- SFI Group of Companies and Kuder to Address Lack of Career and Guidance Counselors in the Philippines - March 22, 2019